Thursday, March 11, 2010

Found Treasures

Last weekend my daughter & I made a trip to the local thrift store to go treasure hunting.   It was a very profitable trip!  I will share some of our finds here today, but the rest you will have to wait and see... (tee! hee! hee!)

Last summer when my oldest daughter moved out of the house, my youngest took over her room.  So now we have a guest room, but it's just been sitting there....no real improvements have been made to the room since then.  It is in desperate need of a paint job, which will include removing the horse border and painting the ceiling.  I hate to paint!!!  But now I'm inspired and motivated!  I found a couple things to spiff up the room for not a whole lot of cash-ola!  YEAH!

Here's a picture of the bed, and the sheers that we found:


The cover is actually a table cloth!  I have always loved the color combo of this teal green and brown!  So I was very excited to find these coordinating pieces!


It's as if they were made to go together!  I wonder if they came from the same home....
The "bed cover", pillow sham, and sheers came to a whopping total of $9!  I did have to spend some extra to get a matching bedskirt, but with the savings on the other stuff, it was do-able!

I did find a BEAUTIFUL bedskirt - in just the size I needed for this room!  But, upon closer inspection, the former owner had CHOPPED a HUGE chunk out of the foot-end of the skirt!  I couldn't believe it!  WHY would anyone do that THERE?  

But I still bought it because it has some awesome edging - I think it's crocheted.  The other window in the room has no blind, and I just haven't had time to go find a new one (I actually found a new one at the thrift store but when I got it home it was too small).  Since my daughter is coming home this weekend I needed something to cover that window NOW!  So I pulled out that bedskirt and tacked it up!

The chest in front of the window is one that my husbands parents had made for my daughter when she was about 2 or 3 years old. It is full of her keepsakes and treasures.
She doesn't have room for it yet, so here it stays.



I'm happy with how my make-shift window covering turned out ~ it will do for now!  (You can see the other sheer peeking out from underneath at the top of the window.)

I'm happy with how the room is shaping up!
  
And I think our cat, Oliver (aka: Fat Lump, Rusty Nubbins, Lumpy) likes it, too!


More room updates, and found treasures to come!

Have a great day!  Thanks for stopping by!

          Warmly,
                  Lori

1 comment:

Patina said...

I'm ready for Spring too! Love seeing all the birds everywhere.
Wow, you are right there are a lot of giveaways!